Corrong Homestead was built circa 1846 by Peter McGinnis. He used vertical pine slabs with a grooved frame top and bottom. The roof consisted of a sapling frame covered with wooden shingles. The building consisted of two rooms to which more rooms were added at a later date.
McGinnis Park plantings were commenced May 1984, as a memorial to the first European Settlers; Peter McGinnis in 1846 and to those who came after. Native trees were planted in complementary groups to a design by Malcolm Hatcher.
The museum has an extensive collection of memorabilia from the early times. Further family history information is available for sale from the Hopetoun and District Historical Society archives.
The museum and Corrong Homestead are open most Fridays from 9am to midday. Admission is $5 and group bookings are available.